Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Summer Garden Challenge

The Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog had one more challenge for us to use our August kits:

Challenge #3: Summer Garden Challenge: Find some inspiration in a summer garden for your project!
And really, my whole kit filled with Summer Fresh was perfect for this challenge! I had some photos that I took while making blackberry freezer jam this summer (we have wild black berry bushes all behind our house, and they are yummy!), which I thought would be perfect to scrap for this challenge:

Supplies used were all from my August kit: Chatterbox patterned paper background (Oh how I miss that lovely linen textured paper!), Simple Stories Summer Fresh paper (the newsprint/chevron), and stickers-"Love Is" letter stickers, and the banner, word, and flower, Pebbles,Inc. navy letter stickers, and a journaling spot from Digital Design Essentials that I printed on water color paper and rounded the corners, and a scrap of red and white polka dot ribbon. After I photographed te layout, I decided to go back and add a line of stitching over the navy letters. Since it's after dark now, it will have to wait till morning for me to add that photo...

*Edited to add the photos of the stitching:

 
Do you want to know what inspired me to start stitching on paper? It was this fantastic class:
So many great ideas were shared for free, so I just had to play along-and I love what it adds to my layouts! I have decided to keep my sewing machine in a more accessible place so that I can use it alot more!

11 comments:

  1. Fab page - I love the contrast of the bright chevrons against the newsprint. Blackberry freezer jam sounds intriguing ... where does the freezer come into it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no cooking required with freezer jam...sugar, Surejell, smashed berries, and a bit of lemon juice, mix it, let it iset for 30 mins and pop it in the freezer. I like it better because the berries tast "fresher" to me, since they are not cooked at all. It's my absolute favorite way to make strawberry jam ...peach and blackberry I like either way! Thank you for the compliments on my page :-)

      Delete
    2. TFS Margie - I'll have to Google Surejell as I've never heard of it - but it certainly does sound easy peasy!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooooh! Great page! Love the patchwork chevrons!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! isn't that Simple Stories paper awesome?

      Delete
  4. Oh the way you have done the chevrons is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like stitching on pages too. Just to clarify here, is the chevron part of a patterned paper or did you construct it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! Loooove the chevron you made and the way you stitched it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the woodgrain mat for the photo - looks like a cutting board in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful page - and I agree with the girls about the chevron paper...wonderful touch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they make my day!