Thursday, September 20, 2012

Autumn Love * A Layout Revamp*

Have you ever had a layout that just sticks in your mind after you've "finished" it? This was one of those layouts for me! I photographed it and put it away, but it still didn't "feel" finished to me. So I pulled it back out and went to work on it! Here is what it looked like before:

And here is what it looks like now that I fiddled with it a bit:


I like it much better, don't you?
What I did to change/fix it: The title and leaf die cuts just weren't "popping" the way I wanted them to. So, I inked the edges with Walnut Stain and Barn Door Distress inks, and backed them with red washi tape. I really wanted to tie it all together with the red, dark brown, and orange that I already had little touches of, so that is what I worked on next. I added some Jenni Bowlin vintage buttons in red and orange, tied them with brown and white baker's twine, and added a couple of little ruler border stickers that had the cream and dark brown.

My little printed tickets seemed just a little bit too pink to me, so I inked them a little more heavily with Barn Door and Walnut Stain Distress Inks...now, they are just the right color!
Just to balance all of the embellieshments and make the photo stand out a little bit more, I added a strip of golden yellow grosgrain ribbon to the right side of the photo, which I love, because it adds a lovely bit of texture.To finish it all off, I inked the edge of the whole layout with Walnut Stain.

So, what do you think? Do you like the newer version better? Did I improve it, or should I have left well enough alone?

10 comments:

  1. I like your revamped version a lot - the deeper colours really set off the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty! I really liked bringing more fall colors in!

      Delete
  2. Oh I do like the pop of autumn red and the buttons too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful choices in your changes, Margie! I liked it before, but I like it even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first lo is very old school. Simple and (to me) lacking impact. The red improves the visual triangle. Much stronger layout 2nd run around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input! I agree, the first version felt lacking to me too!

      Delete
  5. YES! Amazing how such simple touches made an amazing difference! Looove the changes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so inspired by the deep autumn color of the first one but I agree it This happens to me often enough that I always go back & tweak things - usually the layout kind of "plays in the background" of my brain until I figure it out. I really like the changes you made - so much more dynamic & visually interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was good before, but it's even better now! Love the pops of colour from behind your cut-outs, it really gives the layout emphasis and adds more of an autumnal feel!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they make my day!